1. Abrupt ending leave listeners surprised and unfulfilled.
2. One way to signal the end of a speech is with a brief verbal cur such as “In conclusion” or “One last thought.”
3. Another way to signal the end is by the speaker’s manner of delivery.
a. In a crescendo ending, the speech builds in force until it reaches a zenith of power and intensity.
b.In a dissolve ending, the final words fade like a spotlight on a concert singer, bringing the speech to an emotional close.
B. The second function of a conclusion is to reinforce the audience’s understanding of or Commitment to the central idea of the speech.
1. There are four methods of accomplishing this.
a. One method is to summarize the main points of the speech.
c. A third method is to end with a dramatic statement.
d. A fourth method is to refer back to the introduction of the speech.
2. These methods can be used separately or in combination to create an effective conclusion.